Potatoes are always on the Christmas menu, but there are so many ways to slice and dice them. It can be hard to choose what kind of potato dish to make for the holidays. While mashed and roasted are always classic potato dishes, nothing has the same beautiful presentation as scalloped potatoes. This is a dish that looks difficult, yet is actually quite simple to make. Wow your guests this holiday season with this super easy and super delicious scalloped potatoes recipe. Guaranteed that after one taste it will become a staple on your Christmas menu.
Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- 4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Dash of paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Blend in flour. Let sit for 1 minute.
- Add the cold milk, stirring with a whisk.
- Season with the salt and cayenne pepper.
- Cook the sauce on low heat, until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
- Reduce heat and stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Place half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased 1 quart casserole dish.
- Pour half of the cheese sauce over the potatoes.
- Place in the remaining potatoes and pour in the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese and paprika on top.
- Bake uncovered for one hour.