Perhaps the most classic of all Christmas desserts is the apple pie. The delicious aroma is enough to lure people into the room, and few can pass up a slice of this heavenly dessert. While it can be difficult to master this epitome of all pies, it is a must-have at the Christmas desserts table. Practice makes perfect, so just keep trying! Served warm, feel free to add a scoop of ice cream to take this dessert to the next level!
Apple Pie Recipe
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Pastry for double crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 large egg white
- Extra sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice.
- Add the sugar mixture and stir to coat all of the apples.
- Place 1 piece of crust dough in a 9 inch pie plate. Trim the pastry so it is even with the edges of the pie plate.
- Fill the pie shell with the apple mixture. Use the butter to dot the pie filling.
- Roll out the second half of the pastry dough to cover the top of the pie.
- Place over the filling. Trim, seal and crimp the edges as desired.
- Cut slits into the pastry.
- Beat the egg white until foamy and brush over the pie crust.
- Sprinkle with additional sugar and cover the edges of the crust with foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes and then remove the foil.
- Bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool on a wire rack.