Squash casserole is a classic come holiday time. But we want you to elevate this dish. So this is not just any squash casserole – this recipe is inspired by Southern cooking. It uses yellow squash as the base for the dish and adds in eggs and cheese for some creamy deliciousness. Finished off with a crumbled cracker topping, this is an indulgent squash casserole that Christmas deserves! If you have anyone at your table who says they do not like squash, you have to convince them to try this dish. They will change their tune and be scooping out seconds!
Squash Casserole Recipe
- 3 pounds yellow squash, sliced
- 5 Tbsp butter or margarine, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 20 butter crackers, crushed (about ¾ cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the squash in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes or until just tender.
- Drain well and gently press between paper towels.
- Melt 4 Tbsp butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sautee 5 minutes until tender.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the squash, cheese, eggs, mayonnaise, sugar and salt.
- Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 11×7 inch baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 1 Tbsp butter.
- Stir together the melted butter and the crushed crackers.
- Sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes or until set.