Christmas is a time for making things – whether it be homemade gifts, decorations, cards, cookies or anything else to help celebrate the season. Christmas crafts are always a popular activity for young and old alike. Some of us are craftier than others, and making Christmas crafts may not come easy. With that in mind, here are ideas for five simple Christmas crafts. These are ideal for anyone who may not have a lot of time (or skill). They are also perfect for kids. Check them out, make your list for the craft store and then dive right in to make these cute and simple Christmas crafts.
Pipe Cleaner Snowflake Ornaments
These adorable ornaments will add that homemade touch to any Christmas tree. You can also make your snowflakes bigger or smaller by adjusting the length of the pipe cleaners used. Have fun creating a winter wonderland.
- Wire cutter or pair of old scissors
- Three 6-inch pieces of pipe cleaner
- Six 2.5-inch pieces of pipe cleaner
- Six 2-inch pieces of pipe cleaner
- Six 1.5-inch pieces of pipe cleaner
- Needlenose pliers
- Using a wire cutter or old scissors, cut three 6-inch pieces of pipe cleaner, six 2.5-inch pieces of pipe cleaner, six 2-inch pieces of pipe cleaner and six 1.5-inch pieces of pipe cleaner.
- Twist the 6-inch pieces together at their mid-points to make a 6-spoked asterisk. Use the needlenose pliers to tighten the twist.
- Center one of the 2.5-inch pieces at the midpoint of a spoke and twist onto the spoke. Tighten the twist with the needlenose pliers. Repeat the above step on the remaining 5 spokes.
- About ½ inch from an arm attached in step 3 (toward spoke’s tip), center one of the 2-inch pieces and twist. Tighten with needlenose pliers and repeat on the remaining 5 spokes.
- About ½ inch from an arm attached in step 4 (toward spoke’s tip), center one of the 1.5-inch and twist onto spoke. Tighten the twist with the needlenose pliers and repeat on remaining 5 spokes.
- Trim arms as needed.
- To hang, glue a loop of cord or string on the back of a spoke.
Photo Snow Globes
This take on a snow globe is a fun and easy way to let out some creativity while capturing some of your favorite photos. They also make great gifts for family and friends.
- A clean jar with a lid
- Photograph (s)
- Scrapbooking paper
- Spray paint
- Craft paint
- Popsicle stick
- Hot glue
- White pompoms
- Additional decorations (optional and your choice)
- If your jar was previously used, clean it well and then soak it in warm water to remove any residual glue from any labels.
- Coat the lid with spray paint first. This will prime the metal lid and allow the craft paint to stick better. Once dry, apply 1-2 coats of craft paint and set aside to dry.
- Cut out a piece of scrapbook paper. The paper should be cut so it is the same height as your jar and a little less wider than your jar. Place the paper in the back side of the jar. This will be the background to your photo.
- Fold up the bottom ½ inch of your photograph. This will serve as the base. Glue a small popsicle stick to the bottom back of your photo to help stabilize it. Then apply more glue to the bottom of your photo and stick it into place inside your jar. Use a capped pen or some other long, narrow object to help press the bottom of the photo into place.
- Place the white pompoms (‘snow) behind and around the photo to help secure it in place. You can cut some of the pompoms in half and/or slightly pull them apart to create a more snow-like effect. You can also sprinkle some glitter on the pompoms.
- Place the lid on the jar and add any decorations you like (additional glitter, ribbons, etc).
Wine Cork Reindeer Ornament
These adorable ornaments are as cute as they are easy to make. A few simple notches and some hot glue and you are all set!
- Wine corks
- Brown pipe cleaners (you will need 2 3-inch pieces for each ornament)
- Wiggly eyes
- Red pompoms
- Baker’s twine (5 inches for each)
- Pine cone scales
- Hot glue gun
- Awl tool or stick
- Using an awl tool or stick, punch 3 holes in the top of the cork. The holes should be in a straight line just less than midway across the top of the cork.
- Insert a folded piece of baker’s twine into the center hole. Use the Awl tool to help push it down. You can also add a dab of hot glue to help it stay in place.
- Place a dab of hot glue into the other 2 holes and insert a piece of brown pipe cleaner into each hole for the antlers.
- Hot glue the wiggly eyes and red pompom nose onto the front of the cork. Hot glue the pine cone scales onto the top of the cork for ears.
- Twist and turn the antlers into any shape you like.
This craft is such a unique way to count down the days til Christmas. Get everyone in your house excited with this simple Christmas craft!
- 25 small white boxes
- Wrapping paper
- Number stickers (1 -25)
- Small treats
- Fill each box with a small surprise (candy, toy, etc)
- Wrap each box with wrapping paper.
- Apply a number sticker to each box for 1 through 25.
- Let your kids open 1 box each day starting on December 1st to countdown to Christmas.
Glowing Ice Lanterns
This craft is simple, yet utterly beautiful. Play around with different size and shaped containers to create a gorgeous display of lights at Christmas.
- Medium to large plastic containers
- Plastic cups
- Evergreen sprigs and/or winter berries (optional)
- Tea lights/Pillar candles
- Fill a small plastic cup with water and place it inside a larger plastic container. Fill the larger container with water. As an option, add some evergreen sprigs or some winter berries to the water to add color and texture.
- Carefully place in the freezer (or outside if temps are cold enough). Allow to freeze for several hours or overnight.
- Run warm water over the outside of the container to unmold the lantern. The ice may crack, but this will add beauty to your work of art. Set outside and insert a tea light or pillar candle into your ice mold.
This list of five easy Christmas crafts is sure to get your home in the holiday spirit. Add to your collection of ornaments, make some gifts for family and friends and light up your home with an icy display. Happy crafting!